MERCYLESS “Coloured Funeral”
Back in 1992, after a mind-blowing debut full-length, “Abject Offerings” [Vinyl Solution], that took the scene by storm, MERCYLESS signed to Century Media and quickly released what would soon become yet another landmark of 90’s Death Metal, “Coloured Funeral” in 1993.
Even though it was only their second full-length, the album was showcasing an even more mature band with a personality of its very own, still keeping the intricate song-structures, dark lyrical themes, unique riffing and both the brutal blasting parts and catchy melodies of their debut but pushing it all to the next level with a bit more progressive approach resulting in an even darker ambience and even more intricate structures.
European tours and gigs with legends such as DEATH, GRAVE, SAMAEL, TIAMAT, UNLEASHED and more quickly ensued before MERCYLESS entered the studio again to record what would become the album’s follow-up, 1996’s “C.O.L.D.“.
Twenty-four years later, it was more than time this masterpiece of Death Metal gets a respectful yet up-to-date reissue which is what the new edition released as part of the XENOKORP Kvlt Series offers with a careful remaster by renowned Conkrete Studio (DEFEATED SANITY, ANATA, PUTRID OFFAL…), classic pictures, flyers and more and the “part 2” of the MERCYLESS story / interview series with founding frontman Max Otero by journalist Olivier “Zoltar” Badin (Terrorizer Magazine) both on CD and, for the first time ever on vinyl, with both a specific new master and deluxe packagings (Gatefold for the vinyl, DigiPak for the CD).
Featuring two classic gigs from 1994 as CD2, the 1000 copies limited edition first press double DigiPak CD will also come as an even more limited edition, the “Mailorder Collector Edition” reserved to XenoKorp.com customers, limited to 100 hand-numbered copies bundled with an exclusive bonus CD single titled “Spiral of Flowers 2017” featuring a newly re-recorded version of the classic “Coloured Funeral” opening track and a modern live rendition of the very same song from 2014.
Welcome to the funerals!
Press Quotes [reissue]
- “Like Pestilence’s “Testimony of the Ancients” or Death’s “Human”, “Coloured Funeral” stands the test of time” [Twilight]
- “Pretty much what should have been the successor to “Testimony of the Ancients”” [Third Eye Cinema]
- “L’album de leur carrière, ni plus, ni moins” [Metal Franche Comté]
- 10/10 at From Beyond Metal,
- 9/10 at Metal Temple,
- 8.5/10 at World of Metal…
- 8.2/10 at Metal Eyes,
- 8/10 at Music in Belgium, Soil Chronicles, True Bringer of Death…
- XKR004TCDLE – 100 hand-numbered copies “Mailorder Collector Edition” Double DigiPak CD with bonus “Spiral of Flowers 2017” CD single
- XKR004DCDLE – 1000 copies limited edition Double DigiPak CD
- XKR004TP – Test Press
- XKR004LPLE – 200 hand-numbered copies beige and black marbled vinyl gatefold LP
- XKR004LP – 300 hand-numbered copies black vinyl gatefold LP
- XKR004PLP: 250 copies limited edition 180g heavy vinyl picture 12″ LP
- XKR004PLPMCE: 25 copies of the above coming with an exclusive autographed test press copy.
- Oct.27, 2017: 2x CD & gatefold LP release
- Nov.19, 2021: picture LP release
- CD1 / Vinyl – “Coloured Funeral” [remastered]
- Spiral of Flowers
- Mirrors of Melancholy
- Travel Through a Strange Emotion
- Forgotten Fragments
- Serenades… (Into Your Limbs)
- Naked Forms
- Beyond God
- Total running time: 40:21
- CD2 – “Live In Memory of Agrazabeth” [XKR005] (1000 copies limited edition double DigiPak CD first print only)
- CD3 – “Spiral of Flowers 2017” [XKR006] (100 copies “Mailorder Collector Edition” only)
- Max Otero – Guitars & Vocals
- Stéphane Viard – Guitars
- Rade Radojcic – Bass [RIP 2015]
- Gérald Guenzi – Drums
- All music and lyrics by MERCYLESS
- Produced at T&T studio
- Remastered by Frédéric Motte at CONKRETE studio
- 2x CD & LP layout: Nicolas Williart
- Picture LP layout: Lukasz Jaszak (LP) & Nicolas Williart (printed parts)
- Executive Producer : Robert Kampf for CENTURY MEDIA
- Reissue Executive Producer : Nicolas Williart for XENOKORP
- Issued under exclusive official CENTURY MEDIA licence
- Reproduced with kind permission of MAGIC ARTS Publishing